Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INTP and 'mental disorders'
My curiosity has been piqued... Yet again.
I've been reading up on mental disorders, especially social anxiety etc.
Are INTPs more prone to be diagnosed or labeled to have certain disorders?
And which ones would then be considered stereotypical INTP-ish?

[There's a test at: http://www.celebritytypes.com/personalit...e/test.php ]
I scored highest at 'avoidant'

"Avoidant:
Your test scores suggest that your personality style entails: A susceptibility to anxiety and depression, which you guard against by withdrawing from evaluative social situations. You may appear emotionally flat to others at times, but contrary to how others perceive you, this flatness is not your actual state. Instead, you use it as a form of self-protection: As soon as you are around people, feelings of tension and disharmony start to creep up on you. By presenting yourself as quiet, reticent, and modest in social situations you hope to inject some remoteness whereby you can maintain emotional distance in the event that others should start expressing negative evaluations of you. The irony is that you have a strong desire for acceptance and affection, but you restrain these longings in yourself because you are afraid that if you let others get close to you, they will only end up hurting you."

Which I assume isn't necessarily a typical INTP thing.

Another high score for schizoid
(from wikipedia: Schizoid personality disorder (SPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness, and apathy. Affected individuals may simultaneously demonstrate a rich, elaborate and exclusively internal fantasy world.)

While I do have a very rich fantasy, it's not that I have not interest in social relationships. But this might be a more common INTP 'diagnose', but I'd love to hear other people's opinions on the matter Smile
http://oddlydevelopedtypes.com/content/i...syndrome-0

I would expand on this post, but I'm feeling very lazy, so I'll try to keep it short. Mainly because finding research stuffs on my work computer is exhausting.

I will say however that we are definitely misdiagnosed with things.

I don't know where I read it, but there were INTPs that were diagnosed with some kind of social disorder, were prescribed medication, and while on the medication they became ESFJs. So, really it's a lack of understanding. We're extremely misunderstood, and it's because we're so different. SJ's look at us, and say that there is something wrong with us because we're not the norm, and we don't match them at all.

I think that the girl who does Oddly Developed Types that brought up this analogy (In her book I think...) that:
If you have a group of creatures that are purple, with yellow spots... you can't have those characteristics be the thing by which you diagnose someone. Is it normal for an ESFJ? No. But is it normal for an INTP? Yes.

Wow... I summarized that really, really poorly. I'll come back with the actual quote.

I think that it's extremely possible. Tons of disorders that are just part of being an INTP.
(03-06-2015, 08:17 PM)LadyGamer Wrote: http://oddlydevelopedtypes.com/content/i...syndrome-0

I would expand on this post, but I'm feeling very lazy, so I'll try to keep it short. Mainly because finding research stuffs on my work computer is exhausting.

I will say however that we are definitely misdiagnosed with things.

I don't know where I read it, but there were INTPs that were diagnosed with some kind of social disorder, were prescribed medication, and while on the medication they became ESFJs. So, really it's a lack of understanding. We're extremely misunderstood, and it's because we're so different. SJ's look at us, and say that there is something wrong with us because we're not the norm, and we don't match them at all.

I think that the girl who does Oddly Developed Types that brought up this analogy (In her book I think...) that:
If you have a group of creatures that are purple, with yellow spots... you can't have those characteristics be the thing by which you diagnose someone. Is it normal for an ESFJ? No. But is it normal for an INTP? Yes.

Wow... I summarized that really, really poorly. I'll come back with the actual quote.

I think that it's extremely possible. Tons of disorders that are just part of being an INTP.

There's a school for kids who socially "misbehave" and who are diagnosed on the autism spectrum, but there's some speculation that some of their parents could have just put them there because they don't like them. This "school" uses electroshock therapy and it's basically torture.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/shock-th...d=11047334

It's a pretty slippery slope when we start accusing people of having disorders when it's just personality and preferences. I love that "relentless reading" qualifies you for Asperger's. Should we all line up for Guantanamo?
I'd say it's a mix because people are keen on misunderstanding others personalities AND mental disorders. People are lazy and don't like to put the effort in to actually understand some one else's way of thinking so if they feel as if there truly is a problem they'll say, "Oh, they must be mentally ill." It saves them the trouble of looking at themselves and dealing with their own limited world views and thought process. IF someone's different they must be wrong and if you think someone is troublesome give them a negative label to make yourself feel better instead of realising that you might be wrong.

Personally?

I would say certain types of people DO get labled incorrectly with disorders, but at the same time I think it does go with the type.

Social anxiety, it makes sense that INTP may be prone to having problems with anxiety because simply how they take in the world and how the world takes them in, in return. Introverts often have social anxiety, not exactly BECAUSE they're introverts, but sometimes they may identify has introverted because of their anxiety and inability to handle social situations.

I think depression is another thing an INTP may often get diagnosed as, INTP often have a high intelligence. LEt's face it, having a higher intelligence than others isn't exactly the best thign int eh world. It can be lonely not being understood. Heck, you don't even need to be a "highly intelligent" INTP to relate to that. You already have a way of thinking unlike most others. It's upsetting and lonesome. It can lead to depression (or even social anxiety, the two often go hand in hand)

Whenever I take those tests I do often get Schizoid or Avoident Personality Disorder, and I think that could be part of the general INTP personality, but the important thing to remember is that with disorders, it's considered that because it affects your daily life.

INTP may be prone to having these similar qualities, like, I often relate INTJ to sociopaths because in my experience they behave REALLY SIMILARLY, but not all INTJ are sociopaths. I think many people have certain similar qualities found in mental disorders but if your mental state and behaviour isn't affecting your daily life and important elements of it (like would you say that you're rich inner fantasy world and disliking of forming new relationships negatively affects your work experience?) it's not a disorder. That's not how that works.

I think at the end of the day it goes back to who's doing the testing and who's getting tested and why?

Because people so poorly misunderstand psychology in general, I don't even think personalities have much to do with it. This isn't an "INTP problem" it's a problem with people in general. I can think of plenty reasons why other types get misdiagnosed with other issues because people are lazy, rude, and ridiculously self-centred.
Sorry if I'm not making sense.
Sitting in the quiet corner
(03-07-2015, 06:58 PM)LSR Wrote: INTP may be prone to having these similar qualities, like, I often relate INTJ to sociopaths because in my experience they behave REALLY SIMILARLY, but not all INTJ are sociopaths. I think many people have certain similar qualities found in mental disorders but if your mental state and behaviour isn't affecting your daily life and important elements of it (like would you say that you're rich inner fantasy world and disliking of forming new relationships negatively affects your work experience?) it's not a disorder. That's not how that works.

I think at the end of the day it goes back to who's doing the testing and who's getting tested and why?

Because people so poorly misunderstand psychology in general, I don't even think personalities have much to do with it. This isn't an "INTP problem" it's a problem with people in general. I can think of plenty reasons why other types get misdiagnosed with other issues because people are lazy, rude, and ridiculously self-centred.

I see your point, which I think is quite valid.
I do think however personality types do have at least something to do with it.
Some types are the 'expected standard', I think for women its ESFJ, so everything that differs from this standard is more likely to be called odd or weird.

Maybe in a more general sense, introvertness; when people are described, nothing is usualy said about being extrovert, but the introvert gets labels like 'quiet, reserved' etc. because it differs from the standard, which is extrovert.

So the more one differs from the norm, the easier other people would assume something is 'wrong with that person', or that someone might have a disorder.
I hope my rambling makes any sense XD

I do agree with your notion that it's not a disorder if it doesn't impair daily life. But from other people's perspective, it might still look that way.
Scattered Souls and a Thousand Rhymes
(03-09-2015, 04:53 AM)Inferno Wrote:
(03-07-2015, 06:58 PM)LSR Wrote: INTP may be prone to having these similar qualities, like, I often relate INTJ to sociopaths because in my experience they behave REALLY SIMILARLY, but not all INTJ are sociopaths. I think many people have certain similar qualities found in mental disorders but if your mental state and behaviour isn't affecting your daily life and important elements of it (like would you say that you're rich inner fantasy world and disliking of forming new relationships negatively affects your work experience?) it's not a disorder. That's not how that works.

I see your point, which I think is quite valid.
I do think however personality types do have at least something to do with it.
Some types are the 'expected standard', I think for women its ESFJ, so everything that differs from this standard is more likely to be called odd or weird.

Maybe in a more general sense, introvertness; when people are described, nothing is usualy said about being extrovert, but the introvert gets labels like 'quiet, reserved' etc. because it differs from the standard, which is extrovert.

So the more one differs from the norm, the easier other people would assume something is 'wrong with that person', or that someone might have a disorder.
I hope my rambling makes any sense XD

I do agree with your notion that it's not a disorder if it doesn't impair daily life. But from other people's perspective, it might still look that way.
??? That's what I said.

"I'd say it's a mix because people are keen on misunderstanding others personalities AND mental disorders.."

I said I agree, I just added more words to do so and offered possible explanations as to why and tried to clarify some things that sounded like issues to me.

Honestly I think to leave it at personalities types without addressing the true problem isn't deep enough. We're talking mental disorders so let's talk mental disorders. They make people uncomfortable so of course people will misdiagnose someone else.

How do you expect someone to properly diagnose someone with a mental disorder if they don't even know what ACTUALLY makes a mental disorder?

It's a greater problem than people spouting ignorant nonsense because they don't know how to keep their mouths shut and everyone thinks they're Dr. Phil.

Everyone thinks they're a psychologist. They took an online test that told them exactly what they needed to know about what makes a person schizophrenic.

I was just saying that we can't stop there. It's more than just "well this personality is the norm so anyone that doesn't fit it must be mental" that's an awfully naive way to look at it especially considering the many real problems in the psychology community about diagnosis of mental disorders, and problems with the mind in general.

Plus are we talking proper certified psychologist or just everyday joes? Because I wouldn't trust my friends with shit that has to deal with my head.
Not that a degree in psychology means anything either. People love taking their personal biases into everything they do. Sucks to be ethnic or female and trying to get a proper diagnosis, if you don't even have the right FACE for a disease you probably will get stuck with a diagnosis of something completely wrong.

Hope you get a good non corrupt psychologist, they exist, but sometimes it happens, and like I said, bias can get in the way of even the best people simply because people aren't that great at getting over internalised isms.

Also there is no need to agree with the definition of what makes a mental disorder. That's just fact. That is the definition. There's no, "let's ruminate on this". That's what an illness is. Ain't no changing that. Ever.

So yeah, to make things short and simple, yes personalities have something to do with it, but I say that personalities aren't the biggest thing to worry about considering how, every day people are hardly trustworthy judges of sanity and I expect more out of professionals. Not to mention that there are greater issues to be concerned about, such as sexism and racism in diagnoses of mental disorders.
@LSR

Ah, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.
I'm still quite new to the topic of psychology, so apparently I'm blissfully ignorant.
(03-11-2015, 06:20 AM)Inferno Wrote: @LSR

I'm still quite new to the topic of psychology, so apparently I'm blissfully ignorant.
I'm not offended by your ignorance, just that you seemed not to have actually read what I wrote.
There are still plenty of things about psychology I don't know yet either.
(03-11-2015, 06:50 PM)LSR Wrote:
(03-11-2015, 06:20 AM)Inferno Wrote: @LSR

I'm not offended by your ignorance, just that you seemed not to have actually read what I wrote.

Yeah. I know that American culture prefers women *not* to be INTPs. I know that my ESFJ mother practically beat it into my head that I should not be the way I am, and that there was something wrong with me.

I also know that I have 0 fucks left to give and that I do not have a mental disorder for the way I see the world, and that there's something seriously wrong with it when if I was a man, the way I see it would be perfectly normal.
(03-11-2015, 06:50 PM)LSR Wrote: I'm not offended by your ignorance, just that you seemed not to have actually read what I wrote.

I've read and reread your post several times before replying, although my Eglish skills are not to par with most of you as it is not my native language, so I may have misinterpreted stuff or missed deeper meanings of passages.
Also, I have a tendency to put things into my own words and that usually means I repeat someone. I did not mean any offense, so I'm sorry.

(03-12-2015, 12:37 AM)JaneElliot Wrote: Yeah. I know that American culture prefers women *not* to be INTPs. I know that my ESFJ mother practically beat it into my head that I should not be the way I am, and that there was something wrong with me.

I also know that I have 0 fucks left to give and that I do not have a mental disorder for the way I see the world, and that there's something seriously wrong with it when if I was a man, the way I see it would be perfectly normal.

I'm sorry you had to go through that, Jane. I've had other people tell me stuff like that, but never my close family, so I cannot imagine what it must have been like.

While I was in school, it used to bother me that other people thought me weird, now I just don't give a crap either. I don't plan on being someone I'm not.