Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking--Cancellation or Intensification?
I know in many cases, INTPs cancel out their emotions by overthinking them. However, I find that in many cases, overthinking an emotion makes them that much more intense, because I keep piling on different theories and meanings about WHY I'm feeling them. Does anything else experience this?
(02-14-2013, 03:18 PM)L. E. Alice Wrote: I know in many cases, INTPs cancel out their emotions by overthinking them. However, I find that in many cases, overthinking an emotion makes them that much more intense, because I keep piling on different theories and meanings about WHY I'm feeling them. Does anything else experience this?

I don't think we ever cancel emotions. Not ever. If anything, we can super-impose a calm by cutting a division between our logic/thinking self and our emotional self, then concentrating on our logic/thinking self in order to push the emotional self into the background. But all that accomplishes is leaving the emotion unresolved and primed for growth and intensification. All of the thinking also ups the ante. The next time it happens, it's more important, then more important, then more important, etc. Pressure builds like plate tectonics until a sudden, catastrophic earthquake must finally result.
Author of The INTP Experience.
I theorise about my emotional patterns and behaviours constantly, but I still haven't found a universal theory. I have about six running for various situations as factors at the moment.
Still talking to myself, and nobody's home (alone).
(03-07-2013, 10:50 PM)Lynnmabel Wrote:
Quote:I don't think we ever cancel emotions. Not ever. If anything, we can super-impose a calm by cutting a division between our logic/thinking self and our emotional self, then concentrating on our logic/thinking self in order to push the emotional self into the background.

Yes, yes, yes! Faced with something emotional, I may take a few minutes to revel in whatever it's bringing me, whether it be worry, stress, even happiness, but then I immediately slash it into manageable chunks with logical thoughts and store it away. The good side to that, is of course, I rarely feel overwhelmed, stressed, or worried, and am awesome under pressure. The downside, I am at such an even keel, I'm practically just emotionally turned off from everything.

It does add up sometimes, the bottling things away. And then I get the strangest desire for physical comfort, a hug, a touch on the arm, but I don't want the emotional connection at all, that's way too much. So sometimes I find myself on the brink, maybe walking through a store, worried that someone will so much as make eye contact with me and it will throw me into tears. I'm rarely emotionally volatile, especially for a girl, but when it hits, it hits hard.

Stephanie

This is very much like me as well.
I get worn down too. The strange thing is, as much as I might theoretically very much want a connection for comfort, it's usually too volatile (i.e., this could go very badly) to actually execute on the desire. So I still maintain some kind of distance, even though I don't want to.

I don't know if we ever can trust an emotional release. It's just too polluted with dozens of layers of doubts and distaste.
Author of The INTP Experience.
In my personal opinion, cancelling true emotions and feelings by overthinking and obsessing with them is not possible. Read essay reviews online for ideas to write best essays easily. Emotional self of an individual cannot be pushed in the background.