Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Th most common types in fiction
I noticed that certain types show up more often in fiction as iconic, stereotypical personalities. For example, ESTPs show up in fiction VERY often because they make the ideal hero. Similarly, INTPs show up as the deep, wise thinker/philosopher or the criminal mastermind. INTJs are often criminal mastermind, ENTJs show up in war movies. ESTJs are the iconic 'head guy' who is into strict and rigid rules that the main character (probably ESTP) hates and is too small-minded to accept change. Not that ESTJs are necessarily always like that, that's just how they are often portrayed in movies. ESFJs show up as the stereotypical teenage girl. I think that these types are very often overrepresented in fiction (especially ESTP and INTP) because they fit into these stereotypical roles.

I came to this thought because i often research the types of characters in movies while analyzing them on my own, and I always find an ESTP and an INTP. I don't need to name the ESTP characters, they're easy enough to find (since everybody loves them), but for INTP think Dumbledore, Yoda, Good Will Hunting, characters like that (and then there are the nerds and the people who don't talk much but when they do say interesting things). I think INTPs make interesting characters and so they are overrepresented in fiction. What is different is interesting. What do you guys think? it's not that there aren't other types in movies, i just find INTP characters everywhere.
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." --Douglas Adams
Hehe awesome subject... I like how you can learn from fiction sometimes, seeing characters under extreme duress, yet coming up heroic or in a different way, I think you can learn a lot from those things, plus it's fun =)

I personally think that Good Will Hunting is an INTP being playd by INTJ (not sure if matt damon is a P).
Everytime I watch Lord of the Rings I always enjoy the INTP and INFJ relation, saving the world together =) I'm talking about Gandelf and Aragon.

(I have no idea how no one mentioned "Game of Thrones" when talking about T.V. shows, Pfft... read the books btw, they're just so much better).
I'm sure I have a lot more to say about this but I gtg atm =)
Change yourself,
And your reality will change.
Honestly, I've been able to find an INTP character in every series so far. It's crazy. I think it shows that society finds INTPs fascinating... because we are often the fascinating characters of the series. Oddly enough, we are also often the main character, always different or interesting. Another good INTP is Temperance Brennan from Bones (INTJ?), Frankenstein, that sort of thing. For ESTP, most male heroes in movies are. ESTPs are good in battle, and have that in-the-moment wit that the movie industry loves. They are also stereotypically 'players'. Perfect hero material. You'll find ESTJs in army movies. I think that the audience loves certain personality types/types of characters, and therefore certain types are overrepresented in fiction. I also think that ESFP can pretty accurately describe the stereotypical 'manic pixie girl'.

(07-07-2013, 03:14 AM)D-Dan Wrote: Hehe awesome subject... I like how you can learn from fiction sometimes, seeing characters under extreme duress, yet coming up heroic or in a different way, I think you can learn a lot from those things, plus it's fun =)
I learn so much from books and movies, to be honest. I think half my 'wisdom' comes from the experiences of fictional characters, I'm not sure that's a good thing Smile But it's been useful so far.

(07-07-2013, 03:14 AM)D-Dan Wrote: I personally think that Good Will Hunting is an INTP being playd by INTJ (not sure if matt damon is a P).
Everytime I watch Lord of the Rings I always enjoy the INTP and INFJ relation, saving the world together =) I'm talking about Gandelf and Aragon.
Definitely INTP. The only thing is that he gets a bit violent which is not INTP-like. But INTPs have their moments too and otherwise is very strongly INTP. I think Matt Damon is INTP as well because i read some quotes by him that are very INTP, and he also wrote the script for Good Will Hunting so it makes sense that he relates to his character. This was his first work so the movie must have been very important to him. I'm not sure Gandalf is INTP, he seems more INTJ but he does have INTP moments, so I don't know.

(07-07-2013, 03:14 AM)D-Dan Wrote: (I have no idea how no one mentioned "Game of Thrones" when talking about T.V. shows, Pfft... read the books btw, they're just so much better).
I haven't read those yet but I look forward to your next response!
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." --Douglas Adams
(07-07-2013, 03:14 AM)D-Dan Wrote: Hehe awesome subject... I like how you can learn from fiction sometimes, seeing characters under extreme duress, yet coming up heroic or in a different way, I think you can learn a lot from those things, plus it's fun =)

I personally think that Good Will Hunting is an INTP being playd by INTJ (not sure if matt damon is a P).

(I have no idea how no one mentioned "Game of Thrones" when talking about T.V. shows, Pfft... read the books btw, they're just so much better).

I've only seen the first two seasons of Game of Thrones and it's really well done. I'm luke-warm on the sic-fi stuff, but the way the show lays out the medieval politics is kick ass. I think that's a series that covers nearly all INTP triggers/interests (everything from sic-fi to complex human psychology/motivations/politics) at some point.

Damon's character in Good Will Hunting is based on William Sidis. I posted a thread (Outsiders) with link to an article that talks about him having a 250-300 IQ: http://intpexperience.com/mybb/showthread.php?tid=142

Going off memory from when I watched this several months ago, I think Sidis came in ranked #8 on this list of smartest person ever. Here's the first of a four part series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mjIO5YVaxo
(07-07-2013, 03:28 AM)loolitay Wrote: I learn so much from books and movies, to be honest. I think half my 'wisdom' comes from the experiences of fictional characters, I'm not sure that's a good thing Smile But it's been useful so far.

lol yeah.. at times I gotta remind myself to stop learning so much that way, I got a feeling it's not good to delve in so much that way.. some things should be experienced irl..
When you start to recognize other people types, either by recognizing functions or even mood, and once you recognize their Enneagram type,- I won't lie, you feel like a god, suddenly the "role" of protector comes into play, because in a way they're so vulnerable and predictable. But that "role" would change and fade in time I guess, evolving into a more efficient and pleasant way of life, more "right" one.

About Gandalf, once you see the outcome of the Ti Ne, and lesser Fe it's pretty clear, he's got a IP temperament and not a IJ, I won't start to explain that through traits I see, in some way it would be pointless =)
I really enjoy the discussion and argue of Saroman and Gandalf in the 1st movie, seems like the ultimate INTP vs. INTJ encounter =P

When you begin to see functions in reality it is so awesome to see how valuable people can be. The right function could save the day sometimes. When Ne is important, when Ni, Fi, Te, Ti and so forth.. seeing them operate in extremes are nice insights to have. Also seeing different encounters of certain types helps you understand how to "twist" reality sometimes, people have certain needs, once you realizing how to give someone what they need you can "control" them, give them what they need and they're yours (what they truly need), I hope that doesn't sound too weird, but it's true =)

(07-07-2013, 11:30 AM)NRJC Wrote: I've only seen the first two seasons of Game of Thrones and it's really well done. I'm luke-warm on the sic-fi stuff, but the way the show lays out the medieval politics is kick ass. I think that's a series that covers nearly all INTP triggers/interests (everything from sic-fi to complex human psychology/motivations/politics) at some point.

Yes, I've read the books and they're just so painfully real. Even though at times it was painful to read them I like to think it was important, it remind me that life isn't all the time "nice", and one should know how to face unpleasant times. Ofcourse moments of heroism, despair, helplessness and fear are at abundance there, and I think you can learn about yourself sometimes from those times, whether you realize you're learning in those moments or not, I hope my fellow INTPs understand =)
Change yourself,
And your reality will change.
Finders of most common and reliable types information can easily get that with read of this share that provides enough info. Students learn writing tips from ukessays review reading that is written by their services users.
Such a useful with lots of information, do share more.