Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
INTP Book Club
We would make the best book club ever!
There have been some book discussions on other posts and I'd love to be able to share what we are all reading because we all seem to list Reading as our number one hobby.
Interested?

I'm kicking off...This week's discussion is Sci Fi, or as some of us fans prefer, Speculative Fiction.

I am in the midst of reading Maddaddam, Margaret Atwood's very clever and surprisingly funny/ acerbic end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it trilogy that started with Oryx and Crake, the Year of the Flood.
The first two books were full of science/violence/ sex/ bad religion/ evil corporates.
This book, focusing on a group of survivors and the new species of "Crakers", is different but I'm really enjoying it.
I love the way she portrays recent (and near future) scientific developments having been captured by consumerism/ capitalism ideologies throughout the series. I despair at current political/ financial ideologies that dominate in the western world which is probably why I like seeing these taken to extremes. The series has been very dystopian which is why the open humour of Maddaddam has been surprising. She is being very playful with human emotions and thought processes. Previously a strong survivor/ God's Gardener, Toby is the narrator in this book and she is definitely INTP the way she manages and over thinks her relationships with the other survivors. I was wondering if this would not be so funny to non-INTPs?
I don't want to give any spoilers.
I recommend the whole trilogy to everyone here.
Is anyone else an Oryx and Crake fan?
What sci fi/ speculative fiction have you been reading?
I was looking for another Dystopian series to check out, I will give it a try once my book budget is replenished.
I am reading several books right now, but as far as sci-fi, I read the Divergent series not yet finished, but they are filming the movie.
I found it an enjoyable and easy read mostly because the main character is not really that likable and the Clan system was interesting. It's not the best trilogy I have read, I did enjoy the Hunger Games more. Another one that sticks out is Slow River, very interesting.

If you are looking for something more hard sci-fi I do recommend Red Mars, I only read the first book as the second one had a little bit too much religion in it for me at the time. Also Ender's Game is one of my favorite books, from then on there are two series that branch out, I read them all but I would say that I liked the Ender's Shadow/Bean series much better than the Ender series.
The sci-fi/fantasy genre I find to be one of the most appealing and intriguing of all that are out there. And I think that that is probably likely due to the fact that in these worlds, anything goes.

I used to be a massive David Eddings fan until I realised that pretty much every series he wrote had the same characters with the same personalities and the same type of story lines and quickly got bored of him. But if I could recommend only one series to someone it would definitely be The Malazan Book of the Fallen. The complexity and detail that Steven Erikson and Ian Esslemont is mindblowing to say the least. Book one; The Gardens of the Moon drops you straight into the story right before a massive battle with no preamble or long-winded explanation as to how this world works, the laws of magic, nothing. You're expected to read and pick up info as it goes along (which can be incredibly off-putting to some and I can see why lol) it wasn't until halfway through the 2nd book that I started to realise the mechanics and how things worked in this place.

Plus the fact that Steven Erikson is a storyteller on a whole new level, he made me want to be a Bridgeburner, to fight alongside these people who have been pushed and pushed until all they had was their own resilience, each other and the loyalty for their leader and trust in what she was having them do was right.

Read it.

Also, there is a book called The Gone-Away World written by Nick Harkaway which is also extremely well-written. He has a completely different style of writing compared to most but I found it entertaining as well as insightful, his take on corporations and consumerism, war had an intereting take. Plus it was a good read!
An excellent series if nobody has read it is the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. It is also a Dystopian series but is much heavier than the Divergent series. It has better developed characters and a deeper story line. It kind of reminds me of the Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and sci-fy all mixed into one book. I couldn't put it down!

Here is a summary for it:

http://dragonsheroesandwizards.blogspot....mmary.html
re-reading Caves of Steel by Asimov right now. Been going back over the classics lately since I hadn't read them since high school.

Anyone read Jeff Vandermeer? He'd probably go over really well here.
I might have mentioned this before, but I recently read this fantastic book called Ella Minnow Pea, by Mark Dunn. It's about this fictional island called Nollop where the sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog." was written, which has all of the letters of the alphabet. This is important because language is a very important part of Nollopian culture, so they have a cenotaph in the city dedicated to him. One day, one of the letters from the sentence on the cenotaph falls off and the Council outlaws that letter. People are no longer allowed to use it. Since the book is epistolary, as the letters fall off and are one by one outlawed, they also disappear form the book. It's beautifully written--definitely gave my vocabulary a workout-- and brings up a lot of really interesting things to think about. I loved it and will probably read it again eventually.
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." --Douglas Adams
I have finished reading The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton- winner of the Man Booker Prize.
I really enjoyed the structure which made for a complex read but certainly a rewarding one.
Fate, coincidence, mysteries, misunderstandings and all written in a 19th C style. You'll need to make the time to read this one, it's big.Smile
Has anybody read The Night Circus? It's been recommended to me recently by several people but I'm not sure I trust their taste.
On this book with the material that has written in the book have the all bad violence words for the readers to use. Only the books with the good and the authentically written from the essay writing services are have not even violence and the bad words for read.