Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Staying on one path
I started in school for TV production, left. Went to tech school for a computer hardware tech certification. Ended up in corporate insurance operations. Then philanthropy. And am now working as a liaison between IT and philanthropy and thinking of finishing up my education in IT since I have acquired a lot of people skills through this process, which puts me at an advantage over those that focused strictly in IT.

If I can give you any advice at all--finish your bachelors. No matter what it is in. In the real world, having that piece of paper matters more than what it is in sometimes.

Although, at times, some degrees will decidedly be more valuable...but I know of a guy who was a music education major and ended up getting hired over any other number of other candidates with unrelated-to-the-job majors...partially because being able to teach music requires knowing every instrument you teach, which means he can be flexible and adapt to many different skillsets well enough to train others how to do them.

Also, be a decent person to everyone you work with. You never know who your boss might be someday. And if you want to be able to switch careers, having a solid reputation will be invaluable.
This happens to me a lot with my identity. In fact, I came here to the INTP refuge for exactly this reason. I feel like at any time I feel like I've finally figured out what kind of person I want to strive to be, approximately a month later, I'm back to reevaluating myself. For this reason, I keep being told that I lack a strong personality. The truth is that I really, really wish I could just stick with something, anything really, just enough so that I'd have something that I could base my life around and have people remember me as.
I have one friend (aka close-minded jerk) in particular who keeps commenting on my personality. He just can't seem to make sense of why I keep agreeing with other people say. It is true that I am relatively indecisive, yet I don't see it as a particularly bad thing. How else would I be able to open myself to new ideas? However, it is true that because of this "indecisiveness" that I find it hard to find something that I am dedicated enough to apply a lot of effort to, and therefore do really well in.
(04-23-2014, 03:23 PM)Casafer Wrote: I have too many interests, or perhaps too few, and I have no sense of identity to push me in any direction. The only way to get ahead in life seems to be to specialize in one field, get an impressive degree, and then spend your life working with it. The problem is that I pick one, begin walking that path, and then lose interest in favor of something else. I have a list half a mile long of unfinished pursuits. Hell, I can't even pick what kind of character I like to play in video games, and here I am trying decide what I should put myself into debt pursuing academically.

I try to make lists of reasons for one thing over the others, but nothing ever seems to work out. I'm too good at arguing with myself to hold any position for too long. I ask people for advice, and all I get is, "You need to figure out what works for you." Which is like telling a poor man that he should just make more money.

Originally I was just going to make this a plea for help on deciding a career. That changed when I realized that this is a fault that is causing problems in every facet of my life. I have this problem with girls, games, politics... I'm just pulled in every direction and I can't take it anymore. It's doing tremendous damage to my life and I've only got a few years left before I stop being a young man who can make these kinds of mistakes. I've been told, and demonstrated, my entire life to be smart and capable at almost everything I apply myself to, but I'm working a job where my co-workers are high school drop outs and ex-cons. How do I focus myself? How do I build enough discipline to stay the course? How do I build identity?

I don't even know if a forum like this is the right place to ask these kinds of questions. I guess I'm just hoping that some of you have struggled with the lack of identity that comes from compulsively collecting data about everything of interest without becoming emotionally attached to... well, anything.

I have the same problem. I'm 31 and still haven't found the one thing I absolutely have to commit myself to. I have zero motivation to advance in any one thing and it irritates me. I joined the military basically so they would just tell me what to do. I'm hoping that it will finally come to me before I retire. i thought about engineering because I like math and designing things seems cool, but I have made no real progress in that direction.

Trust me, you are not alone.
(05-06-2014, 04:55 AM)ImGoingToPigfarts Wrote: This happens to me a lot with my identity. In fact, I came here to the INTP refuge for exactly this reason. I feel like at any time I feel like I've finally figured out what kind of person I want to strive to be, approximately a month later, I'm back to reevaluating myself. For this reason, I keep being told that I lack a strong personality. The truth is that I really, really wish I could just stick with something, anything really, just enough so that I'd have something that I could base my life around and have people remember me as.
I have one friend (aka close-minded jerk) in particular who keeps commenting on my personality. He just can't seem to make sense of why I keep agreeing with other people say. It is true that I am relatively indecisive, yet I don't see it as a particularly bad thing. How else would I be able to open myself to new ideas? However, it is true that because of this "indecisiveness" that I find it hard to find something that I am dedicated enough to apply a lot of effort to, and therefore do really well in.

I feel you. Even in the military I have switched jobs because it got boring fast. It seems like as soon as I learn the ropes and becoming proficient, I lose interest and the tasks become monotonous and droll. It really sucks because I feel like if I could make myself try harder, I could become an expert at whatever is I do. I just don't have the drive I guess