Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Office Change
A while back I ran into some timeline issues at work. Our system is a living, breathing, malleable force of nature that is hardly the same one day to the next, and some stuff just didn't get done on time. I take full responsibility for my part in that; the previous iteration had been worked on right up to the last minute, and I was burned out on the very process, so I switched gears and forgot to go back and do the one that was impending, and ended up missing a deadline. At the time, some other departments flipped their shit, and the entities to which we owed data got increasingly stern with us, but I put in the time (and overtime) to get it sorted through, and got it worked out.

Now that it's settled down, the higher ups have decided that instead of behind the cardlocked doors of the IT hall where I am currently situated (and have built friendships with the other IT staff), I need to be closer to the public in a place that is more accessible to a wider range of people, specifically the explosively nervous ones and ones that erroneously believe me to be responsible for instructing them, but also the general public, the odd passers-by, the heavy foot traffic of those who don't realize they are walking on boards with air under them that reverberates their clomping steps, and even *shudder* the students.

I'm not looking forward to this change.

There are so many things I'm feeling right now that I wish I could accurately express, but I am also glad that at least here I know I don't have to.

I'm gonna go try to focus on the practical concerns, like 'the ground up there is so sloped, where am I possibly gonna park my motorcycle' and 'I can't remember whether that building has air conditioning....'
"Well if I were You-Know-Who, I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else. Because if it's just you alone you're not as much of a threat." -Luna Lovegood
that sucks, but hey, at least it's an oppertunity to ask for a raise.
and no matter how annoying the idiots that'll walk by will be, you'll find a few gems walking by as well, if you look for them Wink
(08-09-2016, 08:00 AM)Fushigidane Wrote: that sucks, but hey, at least it's an oppertunity to ask for a raise.
LOLOLOL. Oh, man, I wish. XD
I work for the state government (community college) and just got a step increase in July. So far my boss has been all kinds of "if it doesn't work out we'll revisit" because he knows me and is awesome like that.
"Well if I were You-Know-Who, I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else. Because if it's just you alone you're not as much of a threat." -Luna Lovegood
I was wondering if the second paragraph was the result of the first, but as you seem to be on good terms with your boss this may not be the case?

*edit* Upon reading again it doesn't look to be.
"Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to take you to the bridge"
(08-09-2016, 05:54 PM)Dutch n Daft Wrote: I was wondering if the second paragraph was the result of the first, but as you seem to be on good terms with your boss this may not be the case?

*edit* Upon reading again it doesn't look to be.

No, this move is definitely driven by the people who mistakenly believe that keeping tabs on me is the way to go. After all, I only answer their every beck and call whenever they email or phone call me, and hardly ever don't drop what I'm doing to switch to their projects, so it's only the next step for them to be able to barge in on me whenever they feel like it as well. (Currently I'm down a hill about 200yds from those buildings, but with this move I'll be less than 100ft from everyone.)

That situation has been sorted for some time now, and I wouldn't've mentioned it if it weren't the cause of this move. Tongue
You know I had a problem of communicating with my colleagus at new work... It's been a loooong time till we start talking even a little! Also I study at the same time and I have a lot of homework... So, for making a good relationship with people from work I start using instant thesis writing help here and now I have time to chill with them! So cool!