Poll: DOES LIFE HAVE A PURPOSE?
Heck yes! We human beings are here for a big purpose!
Nope.We are human "beings", not human "doings".
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 09-22-2019
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE MEANING OF LIFE
Smile 
Hello there all the lovely INTPs! Greetings!
So I have been wondering a lot lately (and by that I mean in the five month period when I was gone) about what is the actual purpose of life and what are we here for? Or are we here even for a purpose?I have a few theories in my head and I would love if you all too could share your beliefs and finds with me..I look forward to some great discussions on this platform..Smile
Yours sincerely,
THELOGICIAN
Sure.
Bearing in mind that I haven't read any of the material behind your link on the other thread, (and I find it exceedingly unlikely that I will ever put aside the time to do so) here is what is.

There is no purpose to life.

Once upon a yesteryear, on a timescale we can't begin to truly comprehend, the universe was.

If humans existed, we would have called it terrible, we would have called it beautiful. But humans weren't around, and those concepts did not yet exist. And so, for what we'd laugh and call an arbitrary amount of time, the first stars burned in the cold, hard night, turning hydrogen into the denser elements.

The first supernova rent the serene monotony like cell phones rendered the fax machine obsolete, but the stars didn't care. The stars still haven't realized the magnitude of that event, it marked the beginning of the process of planetary formation. Nebulae re-condensed, pulled into spheres by their gravity, but not all of the spheres were large enough to burn.

After an eternity, life evolved. It was so incredibly unlikely, but with such timescales involved, it was inevitable. And once life began to compete, the feedback cycle was closed, and evolution of life began to increase at an exponential pace.

Tribes of great apes fought and manipulated for social status, and suddenly in this world intelligence was valuable. Hominids evolved.

The human brain is an immense thing. Twenty percent of our metabolism goes to feeding it . . . which probably explains why we aren't so strong or fast as the other creatures. But that brain is worth it, neh? Because the human mind is the most complex thing in all of existence. And the most powerful.

There isn't an innate meaning to life. But I find that I like living, at least I like it better than the idea of not living. So I'ma gonna keep doing that.

And I really think that that is good enough. Good enough for anyone.
I came up with a very clever signature, as a matter of fact it's cleveritude was so clever that merely listening it would cause you to ascend to godhood. But then I forgot it, so instead you can listen to my gibbering inanities. I'm sorry.
I don't think there's a reason to need a reason for life. Evolution isn't contingent upon a meaning. We can still grow, reproduce and keep a population of genes going without a purpose. Maybe that's just how it happened. It seems like the most likely explanation to me.
Well, there isn't any inherent meaning to life, because, what is meaning, if not an assigning of value to something?
Without sapient creatures in the Universe, it would be impossible to assign value to life because there would be no assigning parties. So, no, there isn't an objective meaning.

There are sapient creatures in the Universe, though. Namely, humans. (Unfortunately, we have not yet had the privilege to meet any extraterrestrials.)
And we can assign value to life. So, if you're looking for meaning, ask yourself, "Why do I value life? Why do I choose to live instead of choosing to die?". For many people, it's because they enjoy living.

Other people............. don't. Enjoy living, that is. Or, at least, are currently really not having a fun time when it comes to life. If you're one of those people, it still doesn't mean you can't value life. There are numerous reasons to continue living, certainly not limited to the ones I'm about to suggest.

Improving the human condition, for one. If that's not really your thing, how about............... not ceasing to exist? I mean, everything that you experience, everything that you think and perceive and know, is contained within the frame of your existence. With death, all of that goes away.

"You shouldn't choose to live just because you don't want to die!" people will protest. "You need a will to live! You should choose to continue out of genuine enjoyment of life!".

Not true. What, exactly, is wrong with living to not die? That reason persists even when you are unhappy and down on your luck, or when you're at the peak of misanthropy. I've never accepted the deathist ideas frequently found in culture because, from a very young age, when confronted with the thought of my own non-existence, everything blurred into a wordless scream.

Don't get me wrong; I love improving the human condition! I want to reach the stars and unravel the mysteries of the cosmos and push the boundaries of human limits (and, perhaps, break them). But, sometimes, the world seems rather spiteful, and I simply can't see anything worthwhile in the species homo sapiens sapiens. At times like that, my rather strong distaste for dying tides me over.

But that's my meaning in life. That's why I value existing. To solve the grand puzzle of the Universe. To not die. To simply be.

I can't force you to think or to feel or to value anything, though. Especially as I currently lack the funds to track you down and use brainwashing equipment to make you COMPLY and OBEY and BOW DOWN TO THE INDOMITABLE WILL OF THE FELINE GODDESS. So, if you want meaning in life.................... make one yourself. It's not essential that you do, because, honestly, you can do whatever you feel like doing (look at CatGoddess, budding dictator, graciously giving people permission to do what they want to do).

But, considering that you are currently alive (presumably? at least, you were when you typed your message, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you still are...................) you almost certainly already want to live. You place a value on your existence. And, considering that you're asking for meaning, you're looking for a reason why.

You're looking in the wrong place; other people cannot tell you why you want to live. if you want meaning, search within.
I have always interpreted this question as less about "meaning to" (in the way of "my life has meaning") and more about "purpose of" (in the way of "what is our function")...

And recently I've been rather convincing myself that perhaps we and all other "life" beings are here as a temporary way of conveniently storing energy while the universe undergoes the transformation of..... entropy? Negentropy? I haven't figured this part out yet, but I suspect it's larger-scale than just our planet.

Perhaps we (and all the other universes in the multiverse) are merely parallel processing in the search for and compilation of a system of negentropy, and thus our individual lives are rice grains in the sack that is quickly becoming a massive collective intelligence tool?
Perhaps the collective value of all lives that led to modern humans (including everything back to whatever preceded the Big Bang) is the emergence of collective "artificial" superintelligence?
Perhaps we have been naught but the ovum from which that future is to be hatched?
Maybe all the universes in the multiverse serve this purpose, and the differences between them amount to the minute differences that make each human (or other life) mentally and physically different from one another?

The problem here is that there will never be any way to prove or disprove anything of this scale (in a way our human brains can comprehend), so it's all really just postulation.
"Well if I were You-Know-Who, I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else. Because if it's just you alone you're not as much of a threat." -Luna Lovegood