Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motivation (and lack thereof)
I seem to have an addiction to procrastination. Basically, if it actually needs to be accomplished, I will have a hard time doing it unless there is something even more important that I should be doing. For example, I've been meaning to battle the arachnids in my living space for months (...I'm 70% certain the brown spiders are wolf spiders and not brown recluses...) but it wasn't until I was (am) supposed to find a new job that I actually began to deal with them. Still haven't even started the job search though...

Anybody else experience this? Any suggestions other than self-inflicting another crisis?
Procrastination is highly normal. I work a 9-5 where I am fortunately allowed the luxury of self-direction, and this basically is the only reason I don't get reprimanded for not staying on-task. I find it helps to set small goals for myself, and schedule the procrastination into my day. I'll make an ordered list of things I want to get done that day, like this:

-submit clearinghouse report
-apply printing fees
-research Tyvek for paper anniversary
-create student accounts for contract ed
-watch coursera videos
"Well if I were You-Know-Who, I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else. Because if it's just you alone you're not as much of a threat." -Luna Lovegood
That's what everyone seems to be saying, but I don't see how I can split most of my tasks into smaller tasks. And then boredom hits big time or sometimes anxiety sets in. But thanks for reinforcing what people say to do. I should probably get off the internet and actually try to implement it...