Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
R-Drive Test
So I took this personality test called the R-Drive test. I am unsure how to feel about the results. Some of it pegged me but at the same time, it missed on other subjects completely.

What did everybody else get and what did you think of the responses?

http://similarminds.com/r-drive_adv.html
I like the idea behind it, the test itself and the questions aren't really accurate. For example, I don't think that if someone thinks they're attractive they're vain. Perhaps it's just a simple fact that is true, and they know it. My results were way off.
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." --Douglas Adams
That's what I was thinking too.
Yeah, I'm in the middle of taking it right now and "I have a pretty face" comes up. Wtf? I mean, I can see how they might be using it to test self-confidence, but part of that is completely genetic. Not to mention I feel like I'm giving the wrong answer no matter which one I choose. If I say it's not, I'm putting myself down; if I say it is, I'm vain; if I stay in the middle, I'm not answering honestly...

"I am thin" - I am, but I'd be kidding myself if I pretended it had anything to do with being health-conscious.
"I am financially wealthy" - well seeing as social mobility really doesn't exist in this country, that doesn't mean much

Some weird or unfair questions, but overall interesting.
Some of my highest stuff: (above 70%)
Unconventionality, Empiricism, Vitality, Independence, Intellect, Romanticism, Anti-authority, Cautiousness, Sexual, Artistic, Humanitarian, Fiscal, Self-image, Avoidant, Comedian

Lowest: (below 20%)
Othercentrism, Activity (lol), Hedonism, Adventurousness, Wealthy (yes I'm poor, thanks for the reminder, but it's not a personality trait), Religious, Family Drive, Histrionic

Interesting, but not really surprising
Just taking it now, and the first thing that hits me is the initial question before you start, which is, are you male or female. If these tests aren't for research purposes, why is that necessary? The second question is also outputting ... are you mystical? What?!? I then essentially didn't continue, it felt like a waste of mine time. P.S. I'm also studying for my Chemistry final now so that's a factor.
(01-29-2014, 10:40 PM)HighAsAKite Wrote: Just taking it now, and the first thing that hits me is the initial question before you start, which is, are you male or female. If these tests aren't for research purposes, why is that necessary? The second question is also outputting ... are you mystical? What?!? I then essentially didn't continue, it felt like a waste of mine time. P.S. I'm also studying for my Chemistry final now so that's a factor.

Haha I think if you answer "What?!?" to "Are you mystical?" you should mark "Very inaccurate." Some people do claim to be mystical, spiritual, one with the universe, etc. At the end, it just tells you what things are most important and least important to you, so some people would have "Mysticism" marked highly, whereas you would have it marked very low. The weak part about this quiz is that I doubt the results would surprise anyone one either side.

As for the male or female thing, that always irks me a bit, particularly since they don't explain why. It could be a way of seeing the difference between male and female answers, which I don't mind.
It could also be a way to sway the answers one way or the other (though this test seemed to just average out the responses to certain questions). I know there are tests where they've seen that women and men are conditioned to give the responses expected of them, so it could also be a way to take that into account in order to get the proper result, not just the conditioned, gendered response. Like if on a scale of 1 to 10 in a certain category, women tended to rate themselves no higher than a seven because they're not supposed to be strong in that trait, the test could correct for that. It didn't seem like it did any correcting in this one though.
(01-29-2014, 11:21 PM)PallasAthena Wrote:
(01-29-2014, 10:40 PM)HighAsAKite Wrote: Just taking it now, and the first thing that hits me is the initial question before you start, which is, are you male or female. If these tests aren't for research purposes, why is that necessary? The second question is also outputting ... are you mystical? What?!? I then essentially didn't continue, it felt like a waste of mine time. P.S. I'm also studying for my Chemistry final now so that's a factor.

Haha I think if you answer "What?!?" to "Are you mystical?" you should mark "Very inaccurate." Some people do claim to be mystical, spiritual, one with the universe, etc. At the end, it just tells you what things are most important and least important to you, so some people would have "Mysticism" marked highly, whereas you would have it marked very low. The weak part about this quiz is that I doubt the results would surprise anyone one either side.

As for the male or female thing, that always irks me a bit, particularly since they don't explain why. It could be a way of seeing the difference between male and female answers, which I don't mind.
It could also be a way to sway the answers one way or the other (though this test seemed to just average out the responses to certain questions). I know there are tests where they've seen that women and men are conditioned to give the responses expected of them, so it could also be a way to take that into account in order to get the proper result, not just the conditioned, gendered response. Like if on a scale of 1 to 10 in a certain category, women tended to rate themselves no higher than a seven because they're not supposed to be strong in that trait, the test could correct for that. It didn't seem like it did any correcting in this one though.

I just don't think the questions were structured in a way where they could tell what makes me happy or what's important to me. I can see how certain questions were assessing for certain things... but they missed the mark. For example, just because I'm wealthy doesn't mean I am there because I love money. I could have been born into it, or simply love my job (thus excelling at it). I could be in a career that happens to pay well, but I didn't necessarily get into it because I wanted the money. So you see. There are many other examples of that sort of thing.
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." --Douglas Adams
(01-29-2014, 11:46 PM)loolitay Wrote:
(01-29-2014, 11:21 PM)PallasAthena Wrote:

I just don't think the questions were structured in a way where they could tell what makes me happy or what's important to me. I can see how certain questions were assessing for certain things... but they missed the mark. For example, just because I'm wealthy doesn't mean I am there because I love money. I could have been born into it, or simply love my job (thus excelling at it). I could be in a career that happens to pay well, but I didn't necessarily get into it because I wanted the money. So you see. There are many other examples of that sort of thing.

Yeah, the wealth thing was really off. They assume everyone taking the test is at the point where their wealth indicates their desire for wealth.
I don't understand why they went with "I am financially wealthy" instead of "I wish to be financially wealthy."
That was I thinking too Smile