Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marquise Goodwin could prove key for 49ers
Mike McGlinchey Brock Coyle jersey , offense in Week 6 The San Francisco 49ers travel to face a Green Bay Packers squad this week that is struggling to get on track. The Packers win over the Chicago Bears is looking better each week, but the rest of their performances have been shaky at best.Aaron Rodgers and the offense has been a regular part of the conversation, but the defense has been all over the place. I took a few minutes this week to chat with Acme Packing Company writer Jason Hirschhorn, and I asked him about the strengths and weaknesses of the Packers defense. Below are his thoughts coupled with what I think this might mean for the 49ers offense.The 49ers offensive line has improved in recent weeks and seems to be getting on a roll. The Packers pass rush presents a new challenge to the group. More specifically, I expect Pettine to dial up some of these blitzes in the direction of rookie right tackle Mike McGlinchey. We have seen improvement from McGlinchey in the pass rush Authentic Richard Sherman jersey , and he is among the best at run blocking this season. However, he’s a rookie still learning the ropes, and the right side of the line will be one to watch when C.J. Beathard is dropping back to pass.Wide receiver Marquise Goodwin was a full participant in practice on Thursday, and barring a setback he seems to be on track to play vs. the Packers. Quadricep injuries and hamstring injury have slowed him out of the gates after a career year last season. His absence has been noticeable. The team has some quality route runners at wide receiver, but nobody with his game-breaking speed. Getting him out there will be critical if the 49ers want to have a shot at taking down the Packers on Monday Night Football. The San Francisco 49ers pass rush finally broke through last week against the Oakland Raiders Youth Weston Richburg jersey , taking down Derek Carr seven times. Cassius Marsh led the way with 2.5 sacks, Dekoda Watson had 1.5 sacks in his return from injured reserve, and Solomon Thomas, Ronald Blair, and DeForest Buckner each had a sack. The 49ers defense dominated the game primarily due to the considerable pass rush.Week 10 brings a matchup with the New York Giants that presents a huge opportunity for the pass rush to find more success. Eli Manning has been sacked a league-high 31 times. Football Outsiders ranks the team’s adjusted sack rate 26th in the league. The Giants rank eighth worst with an 8.9 percent sacks-per-dropback ratio.The 49ers enter this week tied for seventh in the NFL with 24 sacks. They rank eighth in Football Outsiders adjusted sack rate statistic. They ranked fairly well even before their seven sack performance http://www.49ersauthorizedshops.com/auth...zyk-jersey , but they jumped with that effort.Can they build on it against the Giants? I asked Big Blue View editor Ed Valentine his thoughts on the Giants pass protection. At times it seems like Eli Manning works his way into sacks, but analytics suggest the Giants offensive line is pretty bad as well. Pro Football Focus tracks time in pocket stats, and Manning has the 11th shortest average time to throw, the seventh fastest time to getting sacked, and eighth shortest average time in the pocket.I asked Ed what explains Manning leading the NFL in sacks.The Giants are a mess right now Pierre Garcon jersey , but their passing attack remains dangerous with Odell Beckham Jr. and Sterling Shepard regular threats on the outside and Saquon Barkley among the best pass-catching running backs in the league. OBJ and Shepard will be a particularly difficult task for the 49ers secondary, and so the key will be getting consistent pressure on Manning. If the pass rush can perform similarly to what we saw last week against Oakland, the 49ers will be in a strong position to win this game.